Whenever you do something positive, whether major or minor, it is indispensible to enhance with 3 supreme methods:
- In the beginning, arouse bodhicitta as skillful means to make sure that the actions becomes a source of good for the future
- While carrying out actions, avoid getting involved in any conceptualisation (avoiding materialistic or ambitious attitude to practice – in fact only real practitioners can practice with true freedom from concepts but as one’s practice matures, freedom from grasping comes progressively) so that merit cannot be destroyed by circumstances and there are 4 circumstances which destroys one’s source of merits:
- not dedicating
- regretting the beneficial actions done
- boasting of one’s positive actions
3. At the end, seal action by properly dedicating the merit which ensures it continually grows ever greater (a drop of water becomes part of the ocean – it will continue to exist as long as the ocean exists; when the merits of one’s actions is completely dedicated to the “friut, the Ocean of Omniscience” it will not be lost until one has achieved complete Buddhahood.